Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
MBSR In-Person with Karen Sothers, M.Ed., E-RYT
Please note: Due to the current COVID-19 in-person group restrictions, the MBSR In-Person Program is not currently being offered at the Scripps Center for Integrative Medicine. If you are interested in being notified when the next MBSR In-Person Program will be offered, please send an email to Karen@KarenSothers.com and inform Karen of your interest.
MBSR Overall Description
In the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) 8-Week In-Person Program modeled after the world-renowned MBSR developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D., you will learn how to:
- Pay attention with curiosity and kindness to your present moment experience
- Intentionally respond with wisdom and compassion rather than react automatically
- Relate skillfully to physical and emotional pain to live more fully in the midst of it
- Use mindfulness meditation to improve your sleeping patterns
- Build your capacity to learn from and transform difficult emotions, such as anxiety, anger, frustration and depression
- Increase self-acceptance and self-compassion while decreasing critical self-judgments
- Create and sustain a daily formal and informal mindfulness practice
- Apply MBSR as a highly effective complement to the conventional medical care you are currently receiving to relieve physical symptoms, such as headaches, gastrointestinal problems or high blood pressure, etc
MBSR Overall Benefits
According to published research plus as reported by our graduates of MBSR at SCIM:
- Long-term relief from physical and psychological symptoms
- More effective responses to stress and less reactive
- Improved energy levels, mindset, mood and sleeping patterns
- Less pain and improved pain management
- Overall increase in acceptance and compassion for oneself and others
What are the MBSR 8-Week In-Person Program modalities?
Throughout the 8-weeks you will experience:
- Systematic instruction in formal mindfulness meditation practices
- Listening to mindfulness audio recordings in-between classes to create your own daily formal meditation practice (10 – 45 minutes per day)
- How to integrate informal mindfulness practices as part of your daily activities, such as mindful breathing, eating, driving, exercising, working, communicating, etc.
- Gentle mindful yoga postures adapted to your needs
- Walking meditation practices
- A one-on-one phone session with Karen (30 minutes between classes 1 – 3)
- Learning about the science, physiology and psychology of mindfulness and stress using the visual aid of power point slides to guide the exploration and discussion
- Reading from the comprehensive MBSR program manual to reinforce the in-class learning process
- Group and dyad dialogue interactions to enhance the awareness of what you are learning and practicing each week
- Weekly Mindfulness Encouraging Words emails to support your in-between class formal and informal practices
- The Day of Mindfulness retreat on a Saturday between week 6 and 7 to deepen and expand your mindfulness practices
What is the MBSR 8-Week In-Person Program structure?
- Eight Weekly Classes of 2.5 – 3 hours each (A total of 30 hours class time including the Day of Mindfulness)
- One-on-One phone session (30 minutes) with Karen between classes 1 – 3
- Eight weekly Mindfulness Encouraging Words emails to support your mindfulness practice between class sessions
- Day of Mindfulness retreat on a Saturday between week 6 and 7
- Commitment to your own daily formal (10 – 45 minutes per day) and informal mindfulness practices in-between classes
Where is the MBSR 8-Week In-Person Program held?
Scripps Center for Integrative Medicine, 10820 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037
What is the tuition fee for the MBSR 8-Week In-Person Program?
Tuition fee is $495. Fee includes the 8-week series, Day of Mindfulness retreat, comprehensive MBSR program manual, weekly email with additional practice support and (downloadable) mindfulness audio files.
Please note: Pre-registration the MBSR 8-Week In-Person program is required.
To register and/or if you have questions, email Karen by clicking on her email address Karen@KarenSothers.com or call Karen at 858-481-2251.
Program Director/Teacher: Karen Sothers, MEd, E-RYT, has been teaching MBSR at Scripps since 2004. She has completed the MBSR teacher training taught by the UMASS Center for Mindfulness. Karen earned a Bachelor of Science in Life Sciences from Kansas State University and a Masters of Education in Health and Exercise Science from Vanderbilt University. She is an Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher (E-RYT). For more than 25 years, Karen has dedicated her life to teaching the art and science of mindful living. She blends the time-tested healing practices of meditation and yoga with the most current research in mindfulness, resiliency and compassion to inspire people to live more fully, and with greater ease and vitality.
To read additional MBSR Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), click HERE.
If you would like to read what MBSR 8-week graduates are saying about the benefits of MBSR with Karen, please click HERE.